The Eco entrepreneurs Ltd ( ECOE) ; a member of the Social Entrepreneurs Society of Kenya ( SESOK) intends to install an automated aseptic OFSP processing plant in Kisumu city to make OFSP flour plus OFSP puree as composite ingredients in confectionaries and price them at bottom-line level so that those with limited resources can afford and hence have access to Vitamin A products. By creating an assured off-take market, small scale farmers will be assured of high returns on their investment. Commonly consumed products with small units of sale like “Mandazi”, scones and bread will be produced . The OFSP flour will promoted for making porridge for children and the elderly as primary.
- Install a fully automated aseptic OFSP processing factory to process 0.5 tonnes of raw OFSP per day into flour and puree in Kisumu city
- Develop recipes for OFSP products with a large consumer base in low income segment of the market in slums inhabited by 8 Million Kenyans
- Promote consumption of OFSP confectioneries especially by children aged 6-59 months and the elderly in Kenya cities and urban areas
- Support farmers and traders in OFSP value chain products transition to cleaner cooking fuels and stoves for improved wellbeing through reduced indoor air pollution
- Farmers who will grow organic OFSP according to agronomic procedures provided by Eco entrepreneurs to ensure quality raw materials
- Youth and women who will invest in the trade of OFSP confectioneries to target outlets children’s homes, Early childhood Development Schools, Old peoples’ homes, small trade outlets in informal settlements, Schools and Bus-stops
- Co-financing partner
- Kenya Food and Agriculture Authority
- Kenya Agriculture and Livestock Development Authority who will provide current
This business model under the principal of social entrepreneurship will be founded on a membership driven partnership between farmers, the implementing company and customers. The implementation will be led by youth under apprentice support by experienced agribusiness and sustainable environment management leaders. Based on enterprise mapping and validation by ECOE, farmers and traders will be coached to learn how they can make profits that will meet their daily subsistence above the conventional poverty line of US$ 2 /person/day and generate savings which they can invest in climate change adaptation with mitigation co-benefits in the areas like switching from biomass fuel to clean renewable fuel and clean cook-stoves with low or no indoor air pollution properties. Farmers can invest in on-farm rain water harvesting to increase crop production without depending on rain.
- In two year, consumption of OFSP and derived products by children aged 6-59 months and the elderly increased by at least 25% from a base that will be established by this project.
- At least 150 Youth and women as active investors in OFSPand derived products demonstrate improved quality of life by purchasing improved lighting (Solar home systems) and cooking fuel (LPG or biogas improved bio-fuel stoves) for household use in one year.
- Farmers and traders trained in profitability analysis for smalls scale businesses make quantifiable profits and engage in social development activities in their community
- Lessons learnt on partnership based OFSP value chain business is published and shared to encourage investment by youth and women in agribusiness and climate change management actions
The ECOE has constructed a building by the Lake Victoria shows in Kisumu city which can house the factory after minor improvements and customization. The property is owned by ECO partners and is on 2 acres of land. It is serviced with a three phase electricity and Kisumu city water system.Based on analysed business outlook, the company is seeking financial support at purchase capital equipment to process 1500 metric tonnes of OFSP per year or 0.5 tonnes per day .
- In kind support through providing a processing set o equipment for (washing, peeling, slicing, drying , steaming, mashing, vacuum packing ( puree), labelling and cold storage, marketing vehicle) before sending to market. This cost is estimated to be Euros 82, 600 (59%) of overall project cost estimated at Euros 140, 000.
- Human resources and operations capital : Euros 57, 400 (41% of total project cost)